Creative Component :: design, development & consulting � Music Selling Dilemma : iTunes NOT TO BLAME

Creative Component :: design, development & consulting � Music Selling Dilemma : iTunes NOT TO BLAME: "In 1999, I released my CD, Flashlight Tag at Midnight on my own label, Poetic Wax Records. I chose to press 1500 copies through DiscMakers. I was thrilled when Discmakers offered free internet distribution through a company called The Orchard. The Orchard had a strong partnership with the great CDNOW.com. Like I said, I was thrilled.

The way the plan worked was: I sent The Orchard a box of 20 CD’s, which they would distribute for me. If anyone ordered from CDNOW.com [now Amazon.com], The Orchard would mail the CD to the recipient. I know this because I tested it.

I know for a fact that I sold more than 20 CD’s through CDNOW.com. It wasn’t a hot seller, but I watched the ranking and the sales, which was public information.

I let the whole issue go, but out of curiosity, I searched on Amazon.com, and my CD is still out there. I then went to iTunes, and my CD is out there too! Now this is really the crooked part. So you’re telling me that anyone can buy my music at iTunes, and I won’t see a penny of it!?

How do I know this? Because the CD’s are out in my garage. I signed-up for physical distribution of my CD — to move product, yet my CD’s are still here at home."

No comments: